Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pumpkin Pie / Sweet Potato Pie Please!!!!

Let me first just say, I love making Sweet Potato pie! However, my 6 year old has been requesting pumpkin pie since she brought her pumpkin home from the Farmers Market a couple of weeks ago. I am not a big fan of pumpkin pie but I figured I would put my spin on it, by just doing my Sweet potato ingredients on the pumpkin instead. (People usually LOVE my sweet potato pie by the way. :-)).  The finished pie was DELICIOUS!!!!  This recipe makes 2 pies. If you want to use sweet potatoes for a pie, I will add the **Sweet potato variation at the bottom of this recipe.  Please post your comments and let me know how it works and if you did anything different....Happy Eating! 



GFCF Nut Free Pumpkin Pie


1 Farmers Market medium size pumpkin
1 can of Organic Pumpkin Puree
Organic Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ginger
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbs Organic Raw Sugar
6 Large Hand Swirls Agave Nectar
Earths Best Vegan Butter
3 tsp Vanilla
2 eggs or Egg Replacement
Coconut Milk
2 Gluten Free  frozen premade pie crust


Directions

1.Cut the Pumpkin in 1/2 without Stem. Scoop out seeds & strings.
Place cut side down on parchment lined baking sheet.
Cover with Parchment paper. Bake at 350 til tender (45-60 mins).
Let cool, scoop out flesh & mash until smooth. Drain excess water. Beat together until smooth. Add the can of Pumpkin puree to make a full 2 pies.
2. Add 1 tsp of nutmeg, Add 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and Add 1/4 tsp of ginger
3. You can sweeten to taste but I like my pies sweet, you can start with this:
Add 6 large swirls of Agave Nectar.
Add 2 Tbs of Organic Brown Sugar
Add 2 Tbs of Organic Raw Sugar
Stir and Taste....

4. Add 1/2 cup of melted Vegan butter
Add 1/2 can of Coconut Milk
Add 3 Tsp of GF Vanilla (Adams Best is my favorite)

You can stir and taste until you add your eggs. Once you have it tasting the way you like, add in 2 whisked eggs or egg replacer. (Energ-G)

5. Pour into thawed pie crust and bake at 350F for 60 mins or until filling is set. Let cool and slice. The filling will have two layers: the top layer will be dark orange and the bottom layer will be a soft pale orange.


**Sweet Potato Substitution

No Ginger, No can of Pumpkin puree. You can keep everything else.

Peel and Boil sweet potatoes on stovetop. Drain, Mash until Smooth. Begin at step 2. You may want to sweeten it a little more with the Organic Raw Sugar. (1/3 a cup).

1 comment:

  1. Definitely use ginger in both the sweet potato version and the pumpkin. I liked your organic twist on the pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete